Monday, January 4, 2010

Kristina Martell '08

Associate Sales Representative,
Blue Man Group at Universal Orlando Resort


q: What do you do?
a: My job is to establish and maintain client relationships. I’m out visiting clients on a daily basis to ensure they have everything they need to sell Blue Man Group to guests visiting Orlando. I also communicate new initiatives and special offers to the front line employees who are selling our tickets
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: I enjoy being on the road. Being stuck in the office day after day just doesn’t appeal to me. I’m out there interacting with the clients and seeing sales firsthand.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Trying to take a product that very rarely changes and keeping it top of mind for our clients can be difficult at times. My job is to keep the show exciting and fresh in everyone’s mind so that we aren’t lost amongst all of the fascinating attractions and activities that Central Florida has to offer.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: I have reconnected with so many former classmates in the field and while attending networking events. You really never know who you’re going to bump into these days!
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At a theme park or at the beach. I love all of the theme parks here in Orlando and I’m originally from New Smyrna Beach so I find myself making that 45 minute drive every chance I get.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: My networking skills are becoming one of my strengths. My job forces me to get out there and not only meet new people but build lasting relationships with them. I have been fortunate enough to be a member of industry associations and attend events on behalf of Blue Man Group to help build my network.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The professors at Rosen not only teach you the required textbook basics, but also add real-life experiences and stories in their lectures.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Practically every class required a group project which made it difficult to balance my time. It seemed like everyone in the program worked full time so often there were challenges with conflicting schedules.
q: A UCF memory?
a: One of my favorite classes was Food Prep. I thought I could handle myself in a kitchen prior to taking the class but I quickly realized that wasn’t the case. I’m proud to say I have retained most of the information and have even taught a few of my friends how to properly julienne a carrot.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: There are so many fabulous restaurants in Orlando that it’s hard to choose! Some of my favorites include The Kitchen at Hard Rock Hotel, The Melting Pot, Capital Grille and Cheesecake Factory.
q: On your iPod?
a: I listen to a variety of music...anything from Brad Paisley to Dave Matthews to Rihanna.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I collect John Deere memorabilia. What can I say? I’m a Southern girl at heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment