Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rachael Vogel '05


Director of Corporate Catering & Special Events,
Levan's Catering

q: What do you do?
a: Manage all planning of corporate and social events. This includes the menu, logistics and set-up. About 70% of our events are weddings, but the sky's the limit on what I could be working on! Right now, it ranges from a Super Bowl party at a private residence...to a formal plated lunch for 575 people at the UCF Student Union.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Every event is different. It's not the same banquet and awards ceremony year after year. I love how trends change too. For instance, Tiffany Blue was big in weddings for a while. Lately we see brides thinking outside the box, with colors as non-traditional as black with neon.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: The economy. I've worked here five years and many corporate clients would hold the same extravagant holiday parties every December. Now they tell us they're having a potluck so don't need our services. People are of course still getting married, but on much smaller budgets than I saw earlier in my career.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Julie Noda '05, Brittany Andrews '08, Holly Steinebronn '07 and Tanya Weir Irizarry '08, who also works at Levan's.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: Out-and-about...Downtown with friends, or traveling.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Five years out of college, I know who I am and where I want to go.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: The course content was geared toward our industry. For instance, I could have taken Financial Accounting anywhere, but the examples used at Rosen are specifically for concepts and procedures used in hotels, restaurants and clubs.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Exploring Wines of the World, Quantity Food Production and Hospitality Law. Rosemary Krebs who taught the law class really made you think; for example, if eight guests cram into a hotel room booked for two people, are they really all "guests" and where does the business' liability begin and end?
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Incorporate more alumni guest speakers who are successful in their careers but been out of school 10 years or less. Vice presidents of big companies have information to share about the industry, but students can relate more with younger professionals. It would be helpful to learning the day-to-day operations in the jobs and departments where they'll find themselves after graduation.
q: A UCF memory?
a: My friends. I was born and raised in Gainesville so 100% of my friends I have here in Orlando are those I made at UCF.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: The filet at Del Frisco's, but I'm always up for sushi.
q: On your iPod?
a: I have an iHome alarm clock hooked to my iPod with a random shuffle, so I never know if I'll wake up to a country song or Old School Rap. I listen to everything depending on my mood; when I have lots of work to do and a need for adrenalin, I'll play Rock or Alternative at my desk.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: My new hobby is making jewelry, and I've already sold a few pieces. Like my job, I love that I'm hands-on - it keeps me busy and uses my creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment