Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Nadia Johnson '09


Catering Manager,
Club Cambria, Amway Arena

q: What do you do?

a: I work for Orlando Food Service Partners, managing the catering in Cambria, one of Amway Arena's private clubs. I'm there for every single event when the club's open, which includes Orlando Magic games, concerts, and other events like lacrosse games. I started here as Suites Coordinator three years ago.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: Interacting with the guests. I couldn't go to work at a job where I didn't have fun. The event, people and menu here change daily so I never get bored.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Staff. High turnover rates in this industry, training and retraining are a challenge when there's a need for high quality service and consistency.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Amanda Baruch '09, who I just trained to be our Suites Pantry Coordinator, and Nicole McCracken '08, Catering Manager for both the Canon and Blue Clubs at the Amway Arena.
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Over the summer, I went to Ireland on an extreme sports trip; we did things like parasailing and mountain climbing. Riding on that high, I'm gearing up for Disney's Princess Half Marathon on March 7, 2010. One of my best friends, Natasha Durand, has battled eight different kinds of cancers since the age of two. My greatest accomplishment will be raising $2100 and completing 13.1 miles to cross the finish line in her honor.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: At NASCAR Sports Grille at CityWalk, where I'm an event coordinator. I could also be training for my marathon or relaxing in places like the Vines Grille & Wine Bar, Tavern on the Lake or Tessa Ultra Lounge.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: It taught me the terminology of my industry and led me beyond a hospitality job to a career. I was working as a front desk concierge on International Drive and was unfulfilled. I went for a campus tour and Lori Ashby inspired me to enroll in classes on-the-spot. Rosen is like family. Vivian Ray, Dr. H.G. Parsa, and Dr. Sandra Naipaul, among others, challenged me. I never would have finished college if it weren't for Rosen being such a warm and welcoming place.
q: Your favorite class?
a: Quantity Food Production with Vivian Ray. Through the "Distinguished Chef's Series," we students ran a restaurant open to the public on certain evenings. I became restaurant manager and hostess, which was an incredible experience.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Expand the Distinguished Chef's Series into a restaurant on the Rosen campus, open full-time to the public. You don't see the overall picture working as a server in a restaurant - like what the chef goes through when the wrong type of chicken is ordered. Also, real-life restaurants have specific price points and menus so attract a consistent demographic. Working in the campus restaurant gave us the unique experience of dealing with all ages and types of people.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Planning and executing a luncheon for Meeting Professionals International members, as part of Elise Enloe's Event Management class.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Seafood at Seasons 52 or the Vines.
q: On your iPod?
a: Country, Hip Hop, R & B, Soul, Rock and Alternative Rock; everything but Punk Rock or Heavy Metal.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I've had a rescue dog named Lady for two and a half years. She's part lab and part beagle, and was living with an abusive family before I adopted her.

1 comment: