Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rachel I. Levy '07

Convention Services Manager,
InterContinental Chicago O’Hare


q: What do you do?
a: I've managed events for 50-600 people in this luxury hotel since its September 2008 opening. I work with clients from various companies around the country and am lucky to have 53,000 square feet of brand new meeting space that co-exists in a contemporary art gallery. Whether it’s a small one-day meeting or a large five-day conference, I work with every department in the hotel to ensure each detail is completed to perfection - Banquet Event Orders, rooming list adjustments, VIP amenities, banner rigging, working with outside vendors for décor and event customization, and so much more.
q: What's your favorite part of the job?
a: The conference! So much time and preparation goes into planning mid-size conferences that when the actual program arrives, it’s a huge pay-off. Watching the attendees have a great experience at the convention is my job satisfaction. I love setting up general sessions in 8,000 square-foot ballrooms with extensive A/V, and organizing beautiful catering banquets with elegant buffets and presentation set-ups...and then seeing it all come to life.
q: What's the greatest challenge?
a: Working with our difficult economy. Many of the clients and companies are on tighter budgets than in previous years. This challenges me to think outside the box and create 5-star events on 3-star budgets. I’m regularly working on the development of innovative menu items and presentations to adjust to our economic reality.
q: Do you stay in touch with any other UCF hospitality alums?
a: Some Rosen friends that that I’ve kept in touch with that still live and work in Florida are Ryan Stiner '01 and Kelli Hadd '07. Others here in the Windy City are Jenna Borregine '07 and Sean Murphy '08.
q: Outside work...you're most likely to be seen?
a: When I have the time off, you can find me relaxing at home, at the movies or out trying new restaurants and bars in Chicago. I also enjoy traveling and visiting interesting places and hotels that I’ve never seen before. I’ll be spending two weeks in January traveling though the Middle East (Israel, Jordan and Egypt). The best part is staying at InterContinental Hotels around the world!
q: Your biggest accomplishment since graduating, outside your career?
a: Spending seven months living and working in Beijing, China. I had the fortunate opportunity to work overseas in the corporate hospitality industry. I spent my time managing sales and marketing projects in preparation for the 2008 Beijing Olympics in Wyndham’s Super 8 China corporate headquarters.
q: How did UCF prepare you for what you do?
a: When I first stepped foot on the Rosen Campus, I knew my life was going to change. Rosen filled me with the knowledge I needed to move forward in this industry. It also provided me unique opportunities to see the industry hands-on and relate with people who shared my passion.
q: How could the hospitality program have been better?
a: Practice with property management systems. For example, sales booking software such as Delphi Training or reservation systems such as OPERA. If students had the opportunity to learn these systems that are so widely accepted and used in our hotels and restaurants, we would have such an advantage when entering the real world.
q: A UCF memory?
a: Golden Knights Wine Society meetings that we hosted bi-weekly in the Anheuser-Busch Beer & Wine Lab. It was wonderful to learn in a technologically-advanced environment, with people who are capable of having fun and educational conversations about hospitality.
q: Favorite meal in Orlando?
a: Yellow Dog Eats Restaurant in Gotha. Simply delicious!
q: On your iPod?
a: I shuffle a little bit of everything. Right now I’m listening to the new Rhianna album.
q: Little known fact about you?
a: I love golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment